From the 17th century - Denmark has
had close relations with foreign countries and especially
with its Scandinavian neighbours - as a neutral state.
The diplomatic connection was established through the
Kings special Foreign department - which was a particular
section in the central administration in Copenhagen.
Around 1770 - the Foreign department
was separated from the Chancellery premises - and named
the Ministry of Foreign Affairs - with
one minister and a handful of employees.
After the introduction in 1849 - of
the new Danish Constitution - and during the First
World War the interest in foreign policy enhanced
between the politicians at the Danish Rigsdag
(Parliament). To achieve more influence on the international
scene - a Foreign Policy Committee was create in 1923
- but during the Second World War -
and occupation of the Danish Kingdom - the Ministry
of Foreign Affairs had hardly any authority on the political
arena like most other conquered countries.
After the Second World War - and up to today - the Ministry
of Foreign Affairs has contributed to form multilateral
collaboration with organisations such as the UN
- NATO - OECD - EU - WTO and many more - plus
service the many embassies and overseas offices abroad
under the jurisdiction of the head office in Copenhagen.