Grundtvigs Church from 1940 is a national monument over the
theologian N. F. S. Grundtvig.
Grundtvigs Church was built in the period from 1921
to 1940 - and as a remembrance and monument
to honour the reformer - theologian and hymn-writerN. F. S. Grundtvig (1783–1872)
- one of the most important and influential persons
in newer Danish history. Beside of being the reformer
of the stiff Evangelical Lutheran church
- he was also the founder of the world's first Folks
High School - "Folkehøjskole"
- established in 1844 - and located
in south Jutland - and is truly based on his challenging
ideas of a school for the uneducated adults. Final
N.F.S. Grundtvig in 1862 - is one of the most
influential persons in newer Danish history.
tower of the church in 1925 was the first building
that was erected on Bispebjerg Hill.
years to complete the church
The Church was placed high on top of Bispebjerg
hill in the north-western outskirts of Copenhagen
- and the architecture was influenced by the
The foundation stone was laid on Grundtvigs
birthday - September 8th - 1921 -
and inaugurated on September 8th - 1940.
The yellow brick church is of cathedral
proportions with its impressive building
construction - and architectural style that
is a divided between a cathedral and ancient
Danish country churches with crow-stepped gables
- which is a special historical and cultural
rear end of Grundtvigs Church shows cathedral
proportions and the building complex is the
largest protestant church in Scandinavia.
generations of architects were involved in building
and furnishing the church - which took almost
20 years to complete.
generations of architects
Three generations of architects - from the same
family have been involved in building and furnishing
Grundtvigs Church. The main architect P.
V. Jensen Klint - who died in 1930
- was succeeded by his son Kaare Klint
- and later his grandson Esben Klint.
It took nearly 20 years to
finalize this huge building project - which
is the largest protestant - and public Evangelical
Lutheran church in Scandinavia - that can be
seen from nearly all over town.
dimensions of the church is as follows:
Tower: 49 metres
Total length: 76 metres
Total breadth: 35 metres
The organ is from
1940 and built by Marcussen &
Grundtvigs Church is worth a visit especially for the
many Grundtvigians from all over the world. By bus the
tour to the church will take almost 20 minutes
from Copenhagen City centre.
Grundtvigs Church is located in the north-west area
of the outskirts of Copenhagen and 6 km from
the city centre.
Address Grundtvigs Kirke
På Bjerget 14B
2400 København NV